Craftsmanship, Customer Service and Caring. That’s really what it’s all about.
But we suppose you might want to hear a little bit about how we got started. Our story began in 1976 when owners Dan and Emma Kigar made their first tipi (teepee, tepee) and called it home. They set their tipi on a mountainside and watched the stars pass and the seasons change. It wasn’t long before some of their friends wanted the same experience and the adventure called Earthworks Tipis began. Living at 11,000 feet in harsh Colorado winters, in a tipi, gave them the first hand experience they needed to design and manufacture the world’s finest fabric structures.
Today, the enterprise has evolved into Colorado Yurt Company. We handcraft yurts, tipis and rugged canvas wall tents. The original tiny workshop is now a campus of production facilities and display dwellings located at the base of the Rocky Mountains in Montrose, Colorado. From two back-to-the-land entrepreneurs, we have grown into a group of thirty talented craftsmen and craftswomen who produce tipis, tents and yurts. We’re known and respected worldwide with a reputation for quality products and highly personable service. Give us a call, you’ll know immediately that we are here to help and that we’ve done it thousands of times before.
If you are moved to live, work or play in one of our dwellings, we think you’ll enjoy our website. It includes hundreds of photos of yurts, tipis and tents and many detailed features of each. You’ll find helpful tips and lots of resources along the way. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions. We’d love to talk with you and help you design a dwelling that fits your needs, your budget and your environmental values. Craftsmanship and Customer Service. That’s really what it’s all about.
Corporate Responsibility: People and Planet
You can view our efforts in two respects: the actions we take and the products we make.
Our actions include product donations to those in need, community cleanups, progressive employee benefits, as well as providing support for a number of outreach programs.
- installed a 9kW photovoltaic solar system on the roof of our production facility – the system supplies about half of our electrical needs for all manufacturing and office activities
- use wind generated electricity through our local electric co-op provides the remainder of out power needs
- utilize passive solar and natural lighting in our primary production area
- offer composting toilets for all dwellings
- implement a rigorous recycling and reusing program
- are an approved member of Green America
- are recognized by Colorado Environmental Leadership Program